Friday, March 15, 2013

Baby Steps

March 15, 2013

When we got Evie’s referral last August, we learned of her age and bits about her living history.  At that time, our main concerns were how a three year old would be able to detach from her foster mother of nearly three years and attach to our family.  After consulting with very knowledgeable Holt staff and our social worker, we learned that even though it will be difficult in the beginning, because she knows what a true bond is with her foster parents, she will be able to bond with us.  The first four days have been tough, I will admit.  It’s hard to see her grieve.  It’s frustrating to not see smiles.  BUT, it’s so so great to see progress!  Yes, they are baby steps, nonetheless we see a light in her little face that will only get brighter.

Progress in our world as of today means Evie J being in the same room with Bryan without crying.  She even sat across of the table from him twice today and ate her food!  Progress also means showing a natural smile by watching the boys play.  She now looks around often, points and talks quietly.  Oh she’s so cute!  She is a fast walker, swings her arms and even has a little strut.  I love watching her pigtails flop up and down.  More progress is allowing Brycen to feed her AND push her in the stroller!  One more sign…she is able to stay in one room of our hotel suite and wait for me to return without crying.  Yes, baby steps, but so big for such a little girl.

This morning we boarded our plane in Taiyuan and flew to Guangzhou.  This is our last in-country flight.   Yay!!!  The next flight we board will be to go home!  I do my best to not count the days, but sometimes I just can’t help it.  I’m hoping all of the paperwork in this city goes very smoothly and the time flies.  Yes, of course, I want to enjoy every moment and we still have lots to do.  So, I will do my best to be patient and keep focus on the baby steps that our newest family member is making daily. 

Tomorrow will be a tough day on Evie J.  All adopted children applying for U.S. visas must have a medical check before they are granted a visa.  Evie J’s medical check is tomorrow and although it is a basic evaluation, we have been told to be prepared for lots of crying and fear.  I’m afraid Evie may have a setback, but hopefully she will see that Bryan and I will be there to calm and comfort her when she is scared.  It’s so hard to know what is going through her mind.  The language barrier is much more difficult than I imagined. 

Bryan is leaving China on Monday because he has a meeting in Chicago.  It is going to be very sad to see him leave, but I’m so fortunate to have my mother here to help.  After he leaves, we will only have three more days in China, but who’s counting?!  Thank you so much for all of the super sweet and encouraging emails and Facebook messages.  I cannot respond to any Facebook messages because China does not allow Facebook.  I can read your FB messages on my email.  I also cannot read any blog posts because our blog is blocked in China.  I have gotten a few messages saying you tried to post a message on my blog and it didn’t show up.   Thank you so much for caring to follow us and sending us encouragement.  It truly means more than you can imagine!  I LOVE opening my email and seeing lots of messages to read!  I miss you guys SO much!  We can’t wait to get back to Charlotte and show Evie J our “real” day-to-day life.  Okay, I better stop before I get too homesick.  It’s 9:50 and I’m going to go crawl in bed with Evie J on one side of me, Bennett on the other and Bryan hanging on the edge for dear life. J  XXOO

No comments:

Post a Comment