Sunday, March 24, 2013

Finally! We're home!


We are definitely blessed with lots of wonderful loving friends.  After our long journey home from China, lasting more than 28 hours, we were greeted by two of the most kind, selfless and generous friends at the airport.  Our return trip began on March 21 at 5:30 AM in China (5:30 PM, March 20 in Charlotte), and led us through Tokyo, then across the globe to Chicago, arriving in Charlotte at 9:15 PM on Thursday, March 21 Charlotte time.  We jumped through many hoops and over several hurdles to get through the trip, but we made it!  Our kids slept on the long flight, but my mom and I were not as successful.  By the time we had reached Charlotte, we were mentally and physically exhausted.  Elizabeth Bowman and Kelli Lash came to our rescue with fresh faces, big hugs, lots of smiles, extra hands for baggage claim and Kelli’s car to help get all of the kids AND luggage home.  God is good!

Wow!  When we arrived home at 10 PM, Miss Jenny was here to welcome us and help with the kids.  She had the boys in the bathtub and shower so fast, the travel germs barely had time to land on the floor, or so we thought.  Our yard was flocked with pink flamingos by Cat Long and Catherine O’Neal to welcome Evie J home!  Our refrigerator, freezers and pantry were stocked with lots of healthy yummy food by Cat, Catherine,  Kasey Proffitt and Jenny Riddle.  Oh lots of beautiful artwork hung on our front doors made by my boys’ sweet little friends put smiles on everyones faces!  Finally, the beautiful flowers arranged on the countertops of our kitchen, by Kasey and Anne Garrett were the finishing touches of the scenario describing just how wonderful our friends truly are.  We were home!  

The generosity of friends did not stop there.  We have received an outpouring of support from friends, MORE food, special messages, phone calls, emails, Facebook messages, gifts and words of encouragement.  God has blessed us!

My mother is still with us on this journey.  I have a feeling she will be going back to West Virginia soon, and we are all dreading that day.  I absolutely could not have made it through these last couple of weeks without her.  The trip proved to be more challenging than what we predicted particularly because someone always had some sort of virus.  My mom's dedication to our family has never wavered.  She has stuck with us through the tough times and the good.  She is what I want to be as a mother.  I pray I can be that good!

I wish I could report that the transition home has been smooth, but then I would be lying.   Brycen and Bennett have been sick with fevers and stomach bugs.  Evie has not adjusted to her new home (especially at night) and all of us are dealing with jet lag.  I am really hoping today is a new day with much better health and more happiness! 

Evie and I picked Bryan up from the airport yesterday, which was a very happy moment for all!  I was SO excited to see my husband and the boys were ecstatic to see their daddy!  Evie...well, it took Evie a little while to get reacquainted with him, but as I sit and type this at 5:40 AM (yes, still dealing with jet lag), she is leading Bryan around by his finger.  I think they are sitting on the front porch in the freezing cold watching it rain.  Whatever it takes, my friends!  

I hope all of you are well!  Isn’t it perfect that Easter is coming?!  There is so much to celebrate right now, and I am constantly reminded by friends that our life with little Evie J will only get better.  She continues to be a sweet little girl, but her new surroundings how thrown her for another loop.  In time, she will know that this is her forever home and she will be forever loved.  I can’t wait for her to say just as we did, “Finally!  I’m home!” 

1 comment:

  1. WELCOME HOME!!! I have been anxiously awaiting this post!! I am so glad that you all are home safe and sound. Prayers continue for your precious family...ALL of you! Thank you for letting us share in this beautiful experience through your blog.

    Peace, Susan

    ReplyDelete